RE: valve settings

To: "Lou Metelko" <lmtr4a@ctlnet.com>, "List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: valve settings
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 10:18:15 -0700
> My project for today is to check the valve settings on the TR2
> with an engine
> number of TS1297E.  My question to the list is the discrepancy on settings
> from various sources.  Haynes says that all valves should be
> .010, the owner's
> manual says .010 for intake and .012 for exhaust, to further complicate
> matters, there is a decal on the side of the valve cover that
> states .013 for
> both exhaust and intake.  Can someone please comment on this muddy water?

The key is whether your engine has cast iron or aluminum rocker pedestals
(the supports for the rocker shaft).  I don't know of a change point
offhand, but it was fairly early, and I believe the aluminum pedestals were
a factory-recommended/approved upgrade for the earlier engines, so the only
way to be sure is to look at yours.  The cast iron pedestals have a brown or
dark gray appearance, while the aluminum is a much lighter color.  You may
have to wipe a bit with a solvent-soaked rag to see the color, but you can
do this on top, where the shaft goes through one of the supports.

For the cast iron pedestals, the .010/.012 is correct, with the caveat that
the factory workshop manual specifies .013/.013 "for high speed motoring".
I'd say today's freeways certainly qualify ... but you will notice an
increase in valve noise.

For the aluminum, .010/.010 is used for all conditions.  Later (4th edition)
owner's manuals have only this number.

> If I do the owner's manual suggestion of .010 / .012, can anyone
> walk down the
> valves (front to rear #s 1 to 8) and tell which is exhaust and which is
> intake?

IMO it's much easier to look at which valves correspond to the 'barrels' of
the intake manifold, but ...
1 Exhaust
2 Intake
3 Intake