Re: loaded questions

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: loaded questions
From: Scott Tilton <stilton@protoprod.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 16:28:07 -0400
I gotta chime in on this reliability issue too.

Randall's comments struck a chord with me as I happen to daily drive a
particularly tatty TR-4.

It isn't much to look at, but for almost a year now it has been my primary
transportation.
Back and forth to work every day, and trips all over Virginia.
It actually took over for a TR6 that carried me back and forth to work and
all over the country for a couple years.
Eventually the TR6 engine plumb wore out.  I think the trip to Colorado did
some rapid aging to it . .but that's a different story.

The thing is . .not only does frequent driving of an LBC seem to keep things
in running order longer,  but also the owner gets in tune with the vehicle.
I know all the weird sounds and behaviors it makes.  All those rattles,
squeaks, smells, vibrations, noises etc. would probably each individually
worry me to death if I only drove the car occasionally.   Instead,  they
bother me but don't worry me very much.  As long as they are constant, then
they are normal for my car.  If it starts getting worse and worse . . . then
I get worried.   If you don't drive it regularly, it is real hard to tell
when things are going south on you.

I figure if  that tatty old TR4 has gotten me through this past year with
all the dreadful weather we've had here in Northern Virginia,  it can't be
called "unreliable."

I must, however, put a qualifier on that statement.  Things do go wrong and
need repairing.  I fix my own car whenever I can.   And after owning
Triumphs for the past 17 years,  I've learned how to fix quite a few things.
(I've learned how NOT to fix many more things unfortunately)

There's plenty of help out there for Triumph owners, cyber support and local
resources,  but the operative word there is "help."

If you want someone else to fix it for you all the time,  I say don't bother
getting a Triumph.

If you are going to get a Triumph for frequent use . . .  I think it is hard
to beat a TR-4.  Yeah I'm biased.
  (unless you live somewhere where you can leave the top down ALL the time.
Then a TR3 is MONDO cool.)

Scott Tilton
63 TR4 Everyday   . . .yes it leaks several fluids . . . but none of them
badly enough for me to fix it yet.
70 TR6 is due to hit the road again VERY soon.  (maybe this weekend)
Leesburg, VA