RE: virus?

To: "tr list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: virus?
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 13:11:00 -0700
> There is a patch that is an .exe attachment.  The return address is
> "Microsoft security, I have checked at the Microsoft site and as far as I
> can tell, they do not send this sort of thing out!   I'm thinking
> this could
> be a nasty.  Maybe I'm being a bit over cautious, but thought I
> would alert
> the list to the possibility of someone out there throwing this
> junk around.

Nope, not over-cautious at all !  It most certainly was not from Microsoft,
and so very likely was a nasty.

An experienced hacker can throw together a trojan horse like this in just a
few minutes; and anti-virus software cannot catch it until there has been
time for the makers to find the trojan horse, analyze it, update the virus
pattern file, and of course time for users to download the new pattern file.
That whole process can take weeks (or months).

> Has anyone else gotten this type of e-mail?

Well, not this week ... but the week's young ...

Randall