Re: New Spitfire

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: New Spitfire
From: PeterSchop@aol.com
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 14:54:39 EDT
I finally got the wheel bearing dust caps off my Spitfire. I tried a self
taping screw in the hole on the end of the cap. It stripped out. I tried a pair
of vice grips but they just pulled the screw out. I then tried a cold chisel on
the side of the cap. A few light blows of the old ball peen hammer, turned it
180 degrees and hit it again. Did this a few times and the cap came off with
very little new damage to the cap.

Now I have to work on getting the rear drums off. With the car up on jacks,
the rear wheels are hard to turn forward and will not turn in reverse. I
started the car up on jacks and put it in gear. As soon as I push the clutch
in, the
wheels stop. The parking brake is frozen on. This could be why the car seems
sluggish.

Thanks to all who replied.

Peter Schoppelry

I have been off the list for a while so I need to catch up on what is going
on here. While I was away, I bought a new old Spitfire 1500 to drive while I
work on the TR4. I am in the process of giving the Spit a brake job but have
run
into a problem. The dust cap that covers the front wheel bearing does not
want to come off. I need to take this off to get the rotor and wheel bearings

off. There is no lip to get a screw driver behind it to pry it off. I cannot
get
a grip on it with my channel locks. How do I get this little bugger off?

By the way, the car is a 1979 Spitfire 1500 with overdrive and a hardtop. It
was taken off the road in 1985 and has been sitting in a barn since. In the
last couple of years the car has been made drivable but not licensed.

TIA,
Peter Schoppelry
63 TR4
79 Spitfire