Defective Cam - Resolution

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Defective Cam - Resolution
From: "Bob Fabie" <RFabie@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 19:02:21 -0400
List Friends:

Background:
At 1500 miles on a new engine, constant valve adjustments indicated a bad cam.
With great resentment, I dismantled my pristine restoration and confirmed that
the lifters and cam were defective/damaged.

Update/Resolution:
BPNW, where I purchased the cam and lifters (and much else)  took the
initiative to contact me to express concern and a commitment to make things
right. They sent a prepaid mailing label to return the cam and lifters. Today,
7/3/03, they called me to say they received the parts and they would be
analyzed by their grinder, hopefully to determine the cause. Regardless of the
findings, they offered to replace the cam with any they stock, including a new
stock TR6 cam or new stock 150 hp cam. In addition, they will furnish new
hardened lifters and all gaskets and seals required for the reassembly; all
under warranty at no cost to me (obviously exclusive of my labor).

Roger Williams' restoration manual, page 81, recommends the 150 hp cam for the
TR6 as an excellent choice, and so I will probably opt for that one. I'm
really not an expert on lift, duration, overlap etc. and don't have the
intellect or time to become one. From all your responses, it is apparent that
many other vendors offer excellent cams and various grinds, including Richard
Good, Integral, TSI, TRF (Kent) and others and these recommendations reflect
your personal experiences with these specific products. I also recognize that
many people have installed the Piper 240 cam and most seem to be very happy
with it. I loved the performance/idle on the cam, but I obviously wish mine
had not been defective, either inherently or due to bad lifters.

Although I highly resent that defective parts are being unwittingly sold by
otherwise honorable vendors, and I regret having to spend so much time
assembling and disassembling my engine to replace the cam, I have nothing but
praise for BPNW for the way they have offered to resolve this problem and the
unbelievable customer service they have demonstrated. Mistakes happen. This
was unintentional. I plan to stick with them.

The advise from this list has been invaluable. Thanks for all your replies,
suggestions and even words of encouragement. Dick Taylor, Randal, Fred Thomas,
Bob Lang, Joe Curry, Mitch Seff, Don Malling, Alan, Michael Porter, Chris and
Kelly Sharp, Greg Dito, Jay Welch, David Fain and so many others who replied.
Thanks.

What a Country.

Bob Fabie
'75 TR6