RE: TR3a SU carbs & misc

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3a SU carbs & misc
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 21:45:30 -0700
> I think I have a similar setup on my TR3A SU's - the variable
> idle feature.
> If the idle is too high I lift the accelerator with my toe, if
> it's too low
> I give it a little goose. I imagine the problem could be caused by a
> sticking vacuum advance (or is retard?), but what I was planning
> to do when
> I got one of those round toits was try and torque up the springs on the
> accelerator linkage and then readjust the idle.  I'm figuring that there's
> just not enough force to bring the throttle back to it's lowest point
> without an occasional assist from my toe. If there was enough tenison it
> would at least always bring it back to the same place and I could
> adjust the
> stops accordingly. If the condition persists, then it probably isn't
> mechanical.

I'm just now trying to read through the day's accumulation ... haven't seen
David's original question yet.  But Bob's symptoms sound very much like what
I had when my throttle shaft bushings were badly worn.  Basically the shaft
would sag under the throttle linkage pressure, until the throttle plate
would drag against the carb bore.  Tightening the springs didn't help, at
least not at any tension I was willing to try.

Randall