How much is too much?

To: Mark Hooper <mhooper@pix-cinema.com>
Subject: How much is too much?
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 13:26:02 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net> 42dbca82.dsl.aros.net id h53HWctn020191
Message text written by Mark Hooper
>How much oil is supposed to be in the lifter "gallery" when the engine is
running? I had the valve cover off on the week-end (installing Jim's
brilliant roller rocker kit) and was looking at the valve lifters with the
engine running. The lifters were completely under oil. It was like a lake
with the pushrods churning it around. Seemed to be a good 1/2" -1" above
the
lifter tops. Is this normal or do I have a possible slow drain down the
holes that Greg mentions?
<

I would think that the tops of the lifters should be visible at all times.
Check for sludge build-up in the cam area.

Cheers

Dave