GT6+ Purchase Issues

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: GT6+ Purchase Issues
From: wzm@pylae.com
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 14:6:50 EST
Hello,
   I recently purchased a GT6+ based purely upon its lack of rust, solid
engine, and lack of accident damage, but now I'm going to need to clean up the
rest, and am trying to diagnose its problems.
   To begin with, when driven, the rear suspension wobbles/thunks, the previous
owner thought that it was due to the rotoflex donuts being bad, but an
experienced friend of mine thinks it may be caused by things not being lined up
properly/having the wrong parts installed.  The rear wheels are aggresivly
cambered outwards at the bottom, which may have something to do with it.
   Secondly, the transmission is odd, the stick is very loose, and kind of
floats, making it difficult to find gears.  PO claimed that his TR6 and other
GT6+ suffered from the same thing.  Anyone know what the problem is, and if
there is an easy solution?
   The interior seems to be getting very hot, although I'm told that is normal
in this model.  How hot does everyone elses cars get?  In this case, on the
drive home, it got hot enough that a friends sandels got gummy on the bottom,
and the passenger seat started smoking a little.  I intend to install
insulation (right now the carpets and what not are out), but would like to make
certain that this is about how hot the floors get.
   Finally, I have some body issues.  The front bumper was pulled out at some
point, and replaced with a Mk.1 bumper, while I like the earlier look, I don't
think I want to keep it.  Right now I'm looking at buying a parts car and
getting the bumper off of it recromed, are there good sources for this?
Similarly, the fenders were all flared out ~3" approximatly 20 years ago.  The
job looks very professionally done, and I'm curious as to whether or not this
was commonly done on these vehicles.
   Thanks for your time,
   --Zach Malone