RE: TR6 Stub Axle Removal

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR6 Stub Axle Removal
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 17:28:33 -0700
> Bentley says to remove the vertical link and have the axle pressed
> out. Sounds more reasonable, but the PO screwed up the bolts and tabs
> holding the caliper mounting plate to the vertical link and I can't
> get it off in order to remove the vertical link.

This probably indicates my unfamiliarity with TR6 ... but why do you have to
remove the caliper mount to remove the vertical link?  Can't you just undo
the trunnion and ball joint?

> Does anyone have any suggestions on removing this thing, or should I
> keep hitting it with a hammer?

I made up a sort-of puller to remove the stub axles on my TR3A, from a big
socket and a pipe nipple as I recall.  Slid the whole mess over the stub
axle and then used a Grade 5 nut on the outer threads to force the axle out
of the link.  Of course, if you have no threads, this method may not work
for you <g>

Randall