RE: how to long-term store brake/clutch MCs?

To: "J.C. Hassall" <jhassall@blacksburg.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: how to long-term store brake/clutch MCs?
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 19:56:19 -0700
> The rust in the MC and on the pistons has been
> completely removed and I'm ready to reassemble the bits.  What's a good
> treatment for the pistons to ensure that they don't re-rust while
> they sit,
> awaiting the rest of the car (at least two years away)?  I was thinking
> about Lithium grease, but wasn't sure it would be compatible with
> hydraulic
> fluid (I plan to use DOT 5).

Good thinking ... it's not!

There is a purpose-made brake grease that may still be available from LBC
vendors, I think it's called Castrol Red or something like that.
I use a pure silicone grease that was sold as a heat sink compound, a very
similar product is available to lubricate swimming pool valve seals.

Or, you could just use your favorite grease/preservative and be sure to
completely degrease the parts before installing new seals, when you're ready
to use them.

Randall