control box

To: stilton@protoprod.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: control box
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 20:35:36 EDT
Scott,
Your symptoms sound like control box issues - going to 'neg ground and
alternator' might not address this at all.
Could your contacts be pitty or mal-adjusted? Cooked control box coiling?
Although it sounds painfull - i wonder if a brand new control box to compare
your tired unit's operation is best way to go..
Carl
'63 TR4 since '74 .. with good used control box .. and a NOS backup one to
keep it in line!
-------------

At lunch yesterday, I sat at a stop light for a while and when I
pulled away I was alarmed by the distinct smell of something electrical
burning.
After glancing at my neighbors in traffic I looked at the ammeter and saw
that it was pegged towards the positive side . . 30+ amps (if you believe
the gauge)
In very short order it flickered back down to zero and did its usual
twitching job.
I kept an eye on it for the rest of the day and it is still misbehaving in
my opinion.
I had the same sort of problem in the cold of winter and ended up screwing
with the control box for what seemed like an eternity.
Maybe I should just bite the bullet and make a switch over to negative
ground and an alternator.
Scott Tilton
1963 TR4 everyday
Leesburg, VA