RE: windshield wiper motor-tr6

To: "Alan" <asalvato@tampabay.rr.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: windshield wiper motor-tr6
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 06:56:39 -0700
> I just finished replacing the parking switch in the wipers.  Now
> they actually
> stop in the right place. That takes care of one annoyance.
> Now I am thinking I should have replaced the whole motor.
> I forgot how slow the wipers move. (in either speed)
> Is there anything else , one can try, to speed up the wipers short of
> replacing the motor?

After you clean/lubricate the motor, rack and wheel boxes; check how hard it
is to pull the rack through.  There's a spec in the book somewhere, but I
forget what it is.  With the wipers lifted from the windshield, it should
move quite easily, but the spec also includes the force it takes to drag the
blades over the windshield.  If someone has fitted American wiper arms
(which place more force on the blade), that may be your problem.  If it is
still stiff with the arms lifted, there may be a dent or something in the
tube that carries the rack; or a bad wheelbox.

It's unusual for the motor itself to become 'weak' but still work.  However,
any extra drag will slow it down.

Randall