Re: TR3 "junker" model on eBay

To: Spitlist@gte.net, mgendron@speakeasy.org
Subject: Re: TR3 "junker" model on eBay
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 10:36:16 EDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Mark Gendron wrote:

>I probably shouldn't be laughing at this, but I just can't help myself.
>
>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3126747202

Joe Curry replied:

> The funniest part is that people actually bid on this crap!

On the contrary, Joe, I think it's fantastic! There is a surprisingly high
level of skill that goes into building that level of realism into a kit-based
scale model, whether it is to "show stand" or "jack stand" finish level. I
find the seller's whole display very impressive (although yes, I do hear
banjos if I listen closely).

Like Scott, I have a full-size '60 TR3A that virtually matches the picture of
the model. The only real differences are that my "real" (well, many would
differ on this point) 3A doesn't have that amount of primer showing except
where the original finish is worn through, and it doesn't have wire wheels.
It does have the rust and the rotted black interior. Perhaps that's why I am
so drawn to this auction. ;-)

Meanwhile, Lledo (now Corgi), in their Vanguards line, have a series of
"Hidden Treasures" cars in 1:43 scale. For example, there is a "Blaze" color
Morris Marina with some rusty panel edges and a primered left front fender
complete with coathanger radio antenna. I will note, however, that to date
there are no Triumphs in the "Hidden Treasures" series, even though they have
some very nice Heralds, early Spitfires, TR3As, Dolomites and MkII 2000
sedans in their other lines.

--Andy Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,
 Triumph Herald engine with wings.