TR7 exhaust rattle

To: "Gary Lied" <TritonGreen@ceva.net>
Subject: TR7 exhaust rattle
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2003 14:34:39 -0500
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net> 42dbca82.dsl.aros.net id h2TJat0K010310
Message text written by "Gary Lied"
>While my 7 was up on a lift in an attempt to find why my exhaust system
was
banging around I noticed the transmission had a lot of vertical movement at
the rear support.  When it moves up, it carries the exhaust system with it
causing the knocking.  Further investigating shows an engine to
transmission
tie rod (in Haynes manual).  My car, and the two parts cars I have, do not
have this part.  Is this what I need to eliminate the banging around?
Thanks
in advance for any input.
<

Gary, it sounds like the rear mount has disintegrated.  This is rather
common with this mount.  They are not very oil tolerant.  There should not
be so much movement that the exhaust hits the car.

Dave Massey
80 TR8