RE: SB708 - Of Interest to California Listers... not quite so long and

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: SB708 - Of Interest to California Listers... not quite so long and at le...
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 23:28:36 -0800
> In this case " exceeds mechanical limits" refers to mileage in excess of
> reading limit.  A    XX,XXX   odo turns over at 99,999 miles.
> Most ( all?)
> modern odos read XXX,XXX   so they would "exceed mechanical
> limits at 999,999
> miles, far beyond what most cars will see.

Yes, but we're talking about cars made 30 years ago, when such things were
very uncommon.

> A odo that has "flipped over" is still accurate.

Yes, mostly (although many of mine have broken before rolling over twice).
But the law doesn't assume they are still accurate (and I suspect it was
emission requirements that caused them to have 6 digits instead of 5).

> As for disconnecting the odo it is possible but not a reason to
> consider the law unenforceable.

Well, perhaps.  All I know is, if that's all it takes to get out of a smog
inspection, there's going to be an incredible epidemic of 'broken' odometers
!  Just break the dog off the 10,000 wheel and it's still usable for
everything but smog inspections <g>

>  If one travels too far, see the film "Ferris
> Bulers Day Off" for odo reduction tips ;+)

Except of course that running them backwards does not work ...

Cheers
Randall