Re: SB708 - Of Interest to California Listers... not quite so long and

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: SB708 - Of Interest to California Listers... not quite so long and at least some LBC content
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 22:19:24 +0000
On Mon, 24 Mar 2003, at around 13:36:47 local time, Randall Young
<ryoung@navcomtech.com> wrote:
>> So what do you get for your Bill?   Masses of
>> additional bureaucracy,
>
>Just to be clear, there are no "masses of additional bureaucracy".

If the Bill passes as it is currently formulated, there will need to be
additional checks on every car - specifically to see whether it did
11999 miles in the previous 12 months, or 12001.   The results of each
check will need to be recorded and filed (and possibly certified).   The
check itself could be minimal ("What's the odometer say?") or horribly
involved ("Let me just remove this speedo and inspect it for
tampering...").   That's a fair amount of additional bureaucracy in my
book.

>  The
>underlying law has been implemented for many years in California; smog
>inspections are every bit as much a part of life here as the MoT inspection
>in the UK.  All this bill does is tinker with the existing law a bit.
>
>The mileage provision is completely unenforceable, I'm confident it will not
>be passed.

If that does turn out to be the case, then I agree that there is little
additional bureaucracy.

>  This bill is still in it's infancy; it's not at all unusual for
>them to be completely re-written by the time they even pass the Senate ...
>and then it has to go through the same process all over again in the House
>... and then if the House should happen to pass something it goes back to
>the Senate again ... this process repeats until the bill dies or gets
>approved with no changes ... and then the governor gets to veto it <g>

<g>   Democracy - ain't it wonderful?

ATB
--
Mike
Carly  - 1977 Inca Yellow Spitfire 1500 FH105671