RE: TR3 steering box leak (longish)

To: "'Randall Young'" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>, <JMcmahon@ictgroup.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3 steering box leak (longish)
From: "David A. Templeton" <davidt@opentext.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 13:48:31 -0500
Hi all,

> Result : for under $30 the car's handling was absolutely
> transformed!  (Of
> course, I'd already rebuilt the rest of the front suspension the year
> before, without doing the box.)  Someone teased me the other
> day about not
> being able to park with only thumb and forefinger ... well I
> tried it and
> it's not all that hard.  Most of the time I only use one hand
> to parallel
> park.

When I rebuilt the steering box last year ( with lots of help from this
great list ), my leaks were from the front bolts and "olive" fitting.  After
taking it apart and putting gasket seal on the bolts ( the purple goop,
looks and smells like grape jelly, loctite I think ), it has not leaked
since.  I also can parallel park and turn single handed, I thought I had
missed something with all of the stories of tightness, sloppy straight line.
Thanks Randall, for confirming I am not crazy ( at least on this point )

I used QS 90w gear oil.  The only thing I would like is a slightly better
turning radius for tight turns.

David Templeton
'59 Triumph TR3a
'74 Triumph Spitfire