RE: TR3 Headlight Ring

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3 Headlight Ring
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 07:32:40 -0800
> Hi All
> I'm afraid this is stupid but!
>
> How do I get the chrome ring around the headlight off?
> I pushed and pulled and twisted to no avail.

Hi Alan :

Believe it or not, you need a special tool !  I'd offer to loan you mine,
but some lowlife stole my box full of special tools (including a set of
Whitworth wrenches).  However, the 'special tool' is just a piece of steel
bent into an 'L' shape.  You slide the short leg of the L in between the
ring and the gasket behind it near the bottom, then lever sideways to pop
the ring off of it's spring clip.

On my car, I have to use the other end of the tool to push the tab into the
clip when reinstalling the trim rings.  Otherwise the tab bends instead of
popping in.

This applies only to TR3A after about TS31000; earlier 3As had a split trim
ring and a clamp screw.  The tool and how to use it are shown in the later
owner's manuals "Practical Hints ..."

Randall