TR3A Gearbox oil filler

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3A Gearbox oil filler
From: Popnglo@aol.com
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 08:12:08 EST
I went to check/add the gearbox oil and then was confused. (This happens the
more and more I find out about this vehicle and the more I know about the
TR3).  I had drained and added oil (80W90 WGT. gear oil) a year or two before
but have forgotten which location where I added.
The gearbox has the ID# TS22042 on the left side boss, non syncro first gear,
currently non OD, but may have been OD in the past. The housing accepts the
bullnose starter. The oil filler plug appears to be on the left side of the
gearbox, but as I look now there are two possibilities upper front and lower
back (the upper front appears to have a lock nut). Of course the dipstick/oil
filter under the dash does not exist, though a casting location does. I'm
leaning toward the lower location as the fill plug.
This is the first time that I located the gearbox ID# and again I am confused
and there does not seem to be any reference (Piggot, Haynes, Bently, Moss,
VB, TRF, etc) where I can find info as to the change over associated with
gearboxes. The vehicle commission # is ~TS 38450, but as I look and identify
more this vehicle appears to have been assembled from 2 or 3 vehicles.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Best Regards,
Ed (58 TR3A)