RE: Shame on me clarification

Subject: RE: Shame on me clarification
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 00:26:32 -0800
> As usual, I wasn't very clear.  Does anyone have a suggestion as to why my
> handbrake (TR3A) will not lock?  I think I understand the
> sequence of making
> it lock (pull handle, press button, release handle while holding button),
> it's just that mine does not.  It's like the pawl at the base of the
> mechanism is not engaging.  The button feels like the spring is attached,
> but there is no pressure holding the dog and the pawl together.

Sounds like there must be something wrong inside the handle : My guess would
be the pawl pivot has fallen out (or been removed and replaced improperly).
Could be the ratchet is broken or missing too.  I've never had one fail, so
I can't comment on what's common.  But if memory serves, you can just barely
see the pawl, if you look up from underneath.  Tape the button down, and
crawl under with a good pencil-beam flashlight to see why the pawl isn't
resting on the ratchet.  Otherwise, you'll have to remove the handle, which
doesn't look like too bad a job (but I've never done it).

Randall