Re: TR6 Oil Gallery plug

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 Oil Gallery plug
From: Michael Graham <mgraham@achilles.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 15:28:34 -0500
Hi James

Here is some information I posted on the TR6 mailing list a couple of years
ago while I was rebuilding the engine in my six:

Plug above oil filter (TRF part PU1404) is a 3/4 by 16 thread (UNF), which
I am replacing with a hex-socket set screw (SPAE-NAUR part 478-007)

Plug at front end of oil gallery (TRF part 118632) is a 1/2 by 20 thread
(UNF), which I am replacing with a hex-socket set screw (SPAE-NAUR part
478-001 or 478-002)

I plan to seal the set screws using Teflon tape. James: this did not work,
I ended up using a product called Gasket Red 474 made by Kleen-Flo (a
silicone gasket maker) ... this worked fine

Anyone who hot tanks their block should take care to examine these two
plugs, which in my case were "eaten" when the block was hot tanked. Removal
of the plug from an old block was impossible without drilling and
collapsing the plug with a punch.

Cheers, Mike Graham
73 TR6