#%$^@#!@# diff pinion seal!

To: tr list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: #%$^@#!@# diff pinion seal!
From: Darrell Walker <darrellw@inetarena.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 07:24:56 -0800
OK, first a quick recap on my diff pinion seal adventure:

Pull the diff last week to replace leaking front pinion seal.  After
installing new seal from Moss, refilled the diff and set on bench,
still leaked.  Leak appeared to be from between the outside metal case
of the seal and the diff housing.

Pulled the flange back off, and tried to seat/expand the metal seal
housing.  Almost completely stopped the leak, but it was still weeping
a bit.

Ordered two new seals, on from BPWN (close enough that UPS ground is
next-day delivery) and one from Moss (needed other stuff anyway).  The
BPNW seal came first, and was a little different than the Moss seal.
The Moss seal was rubber, the BPNW seal looked like some kind of
synthetic leather.  Decided to try the BPNW seal.  Coated the outside
of the seal with Hylomar and installed.  Sat for a day in the normal
position with no sign of leakage, so I decided to set it nose-down
overnight.  This made it leak around the seal/flange!  The previous
rubber seal was able to hold oil in this test.

So, is the nose-down test too severe?  Or should I install the rubber
seal?  I want to put the diff back in tomorrow!

Thanks,
Darrell

--
Darrell Walker