RE: O/D Switch

Subject: RE: O/D Switch
From: Randall Young <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 14:28:17 -0800
Cc: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
> Alan, keep in mind that the light switches i England all operate
> differently than the ones in the US.  That means moving the toggle down
> will switch on the light. Consistant with that, the overdrive switches
> usually engage the overdrive in the down position.  However, there are
> different switches for left hadn and right hand drive cars and fitting a
> right hand switch into a left hand drive car will reverse the way the
> switch works which means it works like the light switches in the US - Up
> for ON.

Actually, for the 'teardrop' shaped switch used on the TR3-3A, which mounts
into the dash, the same switch is used for both LHS and RHS.  As Dave says,
the normal orientation is so that up is overdrive off.

However, it turns out that the original switch can be disassembled, and
reassembled upside down so that the orientation changes.  Mine was in the
opposite orientation when I got the car, and I've been driving it that way
so long that when I replaced the switch, I turned the new one over too.

Randall