Re: IRS input flange/nut torque spec

To: tr list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: IRS input flange/nut torque spec
From: Darrell Walker <darrellw@inetarena.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2003 13:09:29 -0800
Thanks to Randall for sending me some information (most of which was in
the manual, had I bothered to read it, rather than just the reference
tables).  I've decided that the extra drag is probably just the
pre-load (15-18 inch pounds).  So I got it back together, refilled with
75/90W GL4, and it STILL LEAKS!

I determined that it is leaking around the case and the seal.  I took
the flange back off, and used a punch to make sure the seal was seated
well in the case, then gave it a little extra to try to expand it into
the opening some more (like a freeze plug).  So far that seems to be
working, though I want to see it leak-free for a few hours before I
declare victory.

If it still leaks, any ideas?  The shop manuals just say "install the
seal".  It doesn't seem like I could use any type of sealer, though I
probably could have smeared it with some type of non-hardening sealer
before I put it in.

Also, if I do end up trying to install a new one, is there any trick to
removal?  The shop manual assume that you have the whole think apart,
and tells you to drive it out from the inside.  I managed to make a
little progress with a slider hammer on the old one, but just ended up
yanking it out with pliers.

Thanks,
Darrell

--