RE: starter motor removal

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: starter motor removal
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 19:16:46 -0800
> > That's very interesting.  On my 3A I'm able to get the starter
> out without
> > removing or loosening anything else.  I have to back it out and tip it
> down
> > so it's vertical, but then I can lift it out the top.  I wonder
> if I have
> > non-stock manifold? It looks rusty enough to be original.
> > Bob
> I remove the air cleaners, the "U" shaped gas line between the 2
> carbsm and
> the choke cable, pull the starter back from the bell housing and backend
> straight up and out right between both carbs, never had to remove
> a carb or
> manifold.  "FT"

It's been awhile since I've tried it, might be that I could use Fred's
method if I also removed the choke link between the carbs.  ISTR there was
some problem tho, and I decided my method was quicker and easier.  After
all, I only undo 3 nuts and can work entirely under the car.  It doesn't
even have to come off the jackstands.

But without removing the air cleaners, I can't even stick my hand down and
touch the starter from the top.  Perhaps that's because I use TR4-style
paper filters.

Randall