Re: Question About Smog Control in England

To: "Bill Brewer" <bbrewer@qnet.com>, "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Question About Smog Control in England
From: "William Davies" <bill@rarebits4classics.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 15:36:51 -0000 h24Fk14V026934
From: Bill Brewer <bbrewer@qnet.com>

>      A co-worker is telling me that in England they made it so you can only
> drive your classic pre-smog control sports car on weekends and holidays. I
> don't think so. Can someone familiar with English smog laws fill me in?

Hi Bill,
    There are no restrictions here in the UK on use of our cars. Vehicles
constructed before the end of 1972 are exempt from paying road tax (around 160
or 100 pounds depending on engine size). Equally, exhaust emissions are not
tested on vehicles pre-1975 (I think) with the only test being for "excessive
visible smoke" and I don't know anyone who's ever failed an MOT test for that!
    Our current government is pretty hostile towards old cars, but they've not
pushed through any major legislation against us (yet). The tax exemption was on
a rolling 25 year basis, but this was changed a few years ago.
    You may see fewer old cars on the road midweek as most owners treat them as
toys for the weekend. Some of us prefer to use them as daily transport.....
    Cheers,
        Bill.

--
Rarebits4classics