Re: Prepping Wire Wheels for Paint

To: "Michael Thompson" <miket@rio.edu>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Prepping Wire Wheels for Paint
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 17:22:55 -0600
> If you would like to repaint your wire wheels, what is the preferred
> method to strip the paint?
> Sandblasting? Take them to a company to handle it chemically? or do it
> yourself chemically? and if you do it yourself, what chemical stripper
> works best?

First, make sure that they are really worth re-painting.  Are the rims
perfectly straight?  Are all the spokes tuned correctly?

I looked at my wheels and decided that there was no point in trying to
restore them.  New Dayton wheels were on sale at TRF.  They look stock, and
are stronger than Dunlops.

If you want to save money by painting what you have, that's OK.  But
consider the problems and expense.  Consider also what you will have when
you are done.

Dayton used to rebuild Dunlop wheels.  They don't do it anymore because it
is cheaper to make better new wheels.

Phil Ethier  West Side  Saint Paul  Minnesota  USA
1970 Lotus Europa 65/2597, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1986 Suburban, 1962 TR4 CT2846L
pethier@isd.net  http://www.mnautox.com/  http://www.lotusowners.com