Andy, Ebay and Profit - my final word

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Andy, Ebay and Profit - my final word
From: "andylit@covad.net" <andylit@covad.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 14:40:40 -0500 FILETIME=[C8D8DF20:01C2D84E] 42dbca82.dsl.aros.net id h1JJjLZt030069
It's time to put a few misconceptions to rest here.

I keep seeing the word "profit" being thrown around here. Some of you seem
to think I'm some sort of undercover parts store. I would love to be in
this for a "profit", but that's certainly not happening.

As you will see, my website ( http://www.circularlogic.biz/ ), if you take
the time to look past the first page, is essentially empty. One project, a
Rover PTO, auctioned to help fund my 109 project. No clients, no current or
future projects, nothing for sale. Just a dream that might happen some day.

Over 15 years, my passion for cars and tinkering has NEVER been self
supporting. I doubt that it ever will. That will not keep me from trying.
Who wouldn't love to see their hobby support itself?

In re my Triumph parts, there is a story to tell. Until this free-for-all,
I hadn't felt it to be anyone's business but my own. Since so many of you
seem to regard me as some sort of parasite, seeking personal gain, I will
share my TR6 background with you.

3 years ago, I bought a project TR6 to build for my wife. I also purchased
a fair quantity of new parts from Team Triumph (Scott Harper, who I
strongly recommend as a straight shooter) and other sources. As a
subscriber to triumphs@autox.team.net, I traded info with a number of you.

I purchased a custom interior kit direct from an English vendor after list
input and extensive research. I purchased a frame when the original vehicle
frame turned out to be beyond salvage. I bought a donor car for all the
missing bits and pieces.

I paid for professional frame repair. I have an engine sitting at LAM
Engine that will probably total out in excess of $2500 in parts and labor.
It goes on and on. Anyone who's done a frame off knows what I'm talking
about.

To make a long story short, I am now divorced. The project is over, for two
reasons.

1. It's not my car, it was her's. Although I like the look, I am very much
a Land Cruiser and Mercedes guy. My British tastes tend towards Jaguar
Saloons and the Rover P4 series. This car is not my passion.

2. I never intended to build the car to sell, hence, I cut no corners and
did nothing on the cheap. At this point, given the going price for even a
top notch restoration, I've already spent more than the car would fetch if
I finished it and sold it. This doesn't even figure in the new paint and
all the other items and services still required to finish it.

In addition, I "inherited" a third TR6 project from a friend who was forced
to leave the US due to a failed business. I have an obligation to salvage
what I can of his investment for him.

So when you blithely spit out the word "profit" as a profanity, take a step
back and look at your own car. If you sold your car today, would you break
even on it? Could you possibly recoup the thousands of dollars invested
over the years? The new parts, the professional services, etc?

Some of you have made brutal character assessments based on your personal
prejudice and zero information about me. A small number have stopped just
short of accusing me of have confederates run the auction prices up.

To you, I say, UP YOURS! How dare you judge me? How dare you imply that I
am dishonest?

My ebay profile says it all, to any person with brains enough to read it.
125 positives over the course of 2 years, no negatives. Gushing praise for
quality, attention to detail, honesty of descriptions and on and on. I have
never screwed anyone on any deal, ebay or otherwise. Shame on you for
implying that I am somehow a cheat.

If I am to be treated as some kind of crud for simply trying to APROACH
recouping my money, so be it.

If you feel that being involved in these lists requires me to take it up
the financial poop chute so you can cherry pick the best stuff at bargain
basement prices, so be it.

I am going to take the advice of several members, some private, some public.

In accordance with the public advice, I am going to offer an email service
to interested parties who wish to be informed as I put each new batch of
items up for sale. Details to follow in a separate post.

In accordance with the private advice, I offer the following to those few
who felt it was appropriate to impugn my character and imply dishonesty:

<Thumb to nose, fingers erect, tongue extended>  Plllllbbbbbppppp!!

That, for the imagination impaired, was a raspberry.

Andy Litkowiak