RE: TR3A wiring diagram

To: <Popnglo@aol.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3A wiring diagram
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 08:52:38 -0800
Ed, the updated schematics are in the owner's manuals; there are actually a
fair number of variants, perhaps even a different schematic in every
edition.  Let me know if you'd like a scan of the 4th ed, which may be
correct for your car.  It shows the in-line fuse for the dash and tail
lights, which was added around Oct of 58 according to Piggott.

Unfortunately, my 3rd edition is missing the schematic, and the 2nd edition,
curiously enough, shows the wiring for the CRT15 wiper motor, but has the
separate turn lamps in the rear.

However, none of them show solid green wires in the rear, only green/purple
(tail), green/white (right turn) and green/red (left turn).  A solid green
wire would imply something that is on anytime the ignition switch is on ...

As best I can tell, the factory did not run separate ground wires for the
lamps in the rear, even though Lucas provided ground connections.  IMO,
adding ground wires is a very worthwhile upgrade, as otherwise the ground
path is by no means certain and frequently has enough resistance to dim the
bulbs appreciably.  Mine runs around to one of the fuel tank mounting bolts,
where the fuel gage sender is also grounded.

Randall