RE: TR4A-TR6 Rear Hub Tool

To: "Homebru" <homebru@mindspring.com>
Subject: RE: TR4A-TR6 Rear Hub Tool
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 11:06:14 -0800
Cc: "TriumphTeam" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
> Chris - I don't know whether the device I had made up will work on the hub
> for a solid axle car. However, the tool does resemble, very closely, tool
> M.86A as shown in the factory (& Bentley) manual on page 3-106.
> It lacks the
> provision for the cheater bar to prevent the assemble from
> rotating because
> on the IRS cars, the hub is disassembled after the half shaft/hub has been
> removed from the vehicle as opposed to in situ on the solid axle
> variety. I
> copied our posts to the list thinking someone else might know fer sure.

The lack of the cheater bar hole is not a show-stopper, as the half shaft
can be removed from the car first on a solid-axle car, too.  Pulling the hub
with the half-shaft still in the axle is just a convenience.

I believe the main issue is whether the tool is tall enough.  At least on
the earlier solid-axle cars, the end of the half-shaft sticks out farther
from the hub face than it does on the IRS cars.  Since the parts are the
same P/N, that should apply to solid-axle TR4A too.

Randall