RE: Reusing clutch system on TR3

To: "richard triplett" <rtriplett25@yahoo.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Reusing clutch system on TR3
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2003 18:27:03 -0800
> The release
> bearing/sleave seem OK, but this is probably best
> replaced?

If you're sure it's in good shape, I'd be tempted to reuse it.  New ones
seem to frequently have problems, and the TR2/3 are the easiest of the TRs
to R&R the transmission on.

> Slave cyl is missing, but fork is good.

At this point, I would no longer put one together without adding a cross pin
to prevent the dreaded broken taper pin syndrome.  I prefer the "additional
bolt" approach near the bottom of :
http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/Clutch/ClutchShaft/ClutchShaft.htm

> SO, plan is to perhaps replace release bearing, sand
> out surface rust on pressure plate/disc/flywheel,

The action of the clutch will quickly sand out any surface rust ...

> clean up tranny and replace at least top cover gasket
> (any other gaskets I should renew?),

The front & rear seal are easy enough to replace, I'd do it.  That means
you'll also need to do the gasket under the front cover.  Inspect the
sealing surfaces, especially on the rear flange.  If there is a groove big
enough to catch your fingernail in, you need to do something about it.

> Am I doomed for failure with this game
> plan? Any words from the wise?

Odds are that your 2nd gear synchro won't work very well, but otherwise I'd
guess you'll be OK.  Obviously it depends a great deal on your gearbox, but
there's a fair chance it's alright.

> Oh, one part I can't quite seem to locate from Moss
> motor's diagram is #848-005 (FRONT COVER (2 3/8"
> sleeve)) Is this a seal of some sort???

No, it's the housing around the input shaft that the throw-out bearing
sleeve rides on.  It's held to the front of the tranny by 4 bolts, that were
originally cross-wired and had lead seals.  There is a seal inside the front
cover (the one I suggested replacing above), it's Moss 520-060.  Note that
the front cover should match the clutch, the 2-3/8" cover goes with the
TR2-4 clutch, not the TR4A-6 clutch.

Randall