Re: water pump pulley woes

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: water pump pulley woes
From: ZinkZ10C@aol.com
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 08:11:18 EST
AVALON2455@aol.com writes:

<< Here are the #'s on the bearing..............Outer Rim:  HOFFMANN     117
FS
 V2       ENGLAND          RQPO    (A DELTA SIGN)N     Inner Rim:  QPO

         N3179 V2

 It is my understanding that these were made only by Hoffmann (they have
 evidently been out of business for years) .........they have a seal on one
 side (retaining ring, flat thin metal washer ring , fiber filler ring) and
 nothing on the other.side...............any thing less than this, the grease
 pressure will  blow out the seals!!! >>

The shield ( seal) you describe is common.  They are now have a rubber lip
instead of fiber.  Some bearings have a steel shield without a lip that is OK
unless the bearing sees direct dirt/water spray.  If a bearing has a shield
on both sides, it can be removed by prying it out.

As for replacement bearings, if a direct cross is not available a bushing on
the outside and/or the inside could be made to compensate for a weird ID/ OD
combo.

Anyone have accurate dimensions?   Are there any retaining groves on the OD
the bearing? ( That would make things a bit more difficult but solvable with
some Locktite bearing and stud mounting fluid.)  I could check the bearing
supplier I deal with at work.

Harold