Re: Home for old computer parts? (not LBC)

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Home for old computer parts? (not LBC)
From: "Kinderlehrer" <kinderlehrer@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 11:16:22 -0800
How fortuitous that the Mercury News would have an article today on deleting
data before disposing of hard drives.  It is on-line at:
http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/business/technology/personal_technolo
gy/5011725.htm

The paper copy (yes, they do still print newspapers) had a small table in a
sidebar with a summary of the sites where freeware or free trial software is
available.  I will copy it if anyone is interested.

Bob

> > Jack and all;
> >
> > Sadly, just formatting a hard drive won't get the job done.  I have been
> involved with a company that "recovers" data that has been erased,
> reformatted, and written over.  Their specialty is in the field of
forensic
> discovery for criminal and civil matters.   A big hammer is the only for
> sure way to keep someone from being able to recover it.
>
> How about magnetic bulk erasing?
>
> Phil Ethier  West Side  Saint Paul  Minnesota  USA
> 1970 Lotus Europa 65/2597, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1986 Suburban, 1962 TR4
CT2846L