Re: Another brand of thread inserts-Trailing arm studs etc.

To: LaJoMor@aol.com
Subject: Re: Another brand of thread inserts-Trailing arm studs etc.
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Sun, 08 Dec 2002 13:10:20 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
LaJoMor@aol.com wrote:

> Hello to all...
>
> Here is another thread insert/repair option...I don't have any first-hand
> experience or involvement with them. Just a 'head up'.
>
> www.timesert.com

I'd be leery of installing these anywhere precise torque was required,
due to the construction of the bottom section, which would act like a
prevailing torque nut. And, any insert which requires the fastener to do
the work of locking the insert has a greater chance of coming out with
the fastener. The presence of a shoulder at the top also limits the
places this insert can be used without boring a relief.

That said, these might be thin enough to save some pulled stud threads
in a rear trailing arm. (!)

Cheers.

--
Michael D. Porter
Roswell, NM (yes, _that_ Roswell)

Don't let people drive you crazy when you know it's within walking
distance.