TR 3 (and early 4) seat springs.

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR 3 (and early 4) seat springs.
From: Scott Tilton <sdtilton@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 06:20:03 -0800 (PST)
Ill have to give some applause to Charles Runyan at TRF for some of his latest
efforts.

I see in the latest sale catalog that hes working on a good replacement for
the seat springs on a TR3.
(hopefully they will be adapted to a TR-4 also)

He says hes trying to copy them exactly as they were originally produced and
that they have over 90 coil springs!!!
God bless him for that.

Some of you may have remembered my rants about how displeased I am with a set
of seat springs I bought from Moss many years ago.

I put my faith in the fact that Moss wouldnt sell a worthless piece of #@$ and
Ive spent a lot of time and effort (and money) trying to make these seat
springs work acceptably.

After seeing the write-up in the TRF catalog . . . I went downstairs and pulled
my nice looking seats of the shelf with their springs on which only Iron Man
could sit on and be at the right ride height.

Charles product has over 90 springs?
The ones I have contain only 22,  very big, very stiff,  very tall coils in
them.

You should see them.
Back when I had them professionally installed with the Moss seat kit (which is
of very nice quality I must admit)
I instructed the installer to compress them as much as humanly possible and
showed him pictures of cars with correct seat springs in them.

He tried  his best I guess, but it still came out bad.

I called Moss and they gave me lines about how the springs should settle with
use and that after they start to sag, they should be much better.
At that point I could just tighten up the side skirts around the bottom edges.

Im not kidding . . I got some huge sand bags and sat over 300 lbs on each of
those springs for months.
No change.  Still to tall.

Another time I resorted to getting dozens of heavy duty nylon cable ties and
threading them through the coils then cinching them down.

Shorter,?  yes.
Rock hard?  Yes

You should see it . . . I shake my head and laugh at the effort I went to on
them.

Oh and by the way . . . upon closer inspection . . besides the Moss Motors Part
tag on them, I found tags with:

John Skinner (Manufacturing) LTD of England

At least I know with whom I should be irritated.

Hope Mr. Runyan comes though with a good product.

Sorry for the rant.
I should throw those springs out . . . all they do is piss me off every time I
see them.

Scott Tilton
1963 TR4 with pretty nice looking Spitfire seats rigged in to it
Leesburg, VA