Re: [triumph_herald] Re-importing to UK from US - help!

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>, <triumph_herald@yahoogroups.com>, "Michael Hargreave Mawson" <OC@46thFoot.com>
Subject: Re: [triumph_herald] Re-importing to UK from US - help!
From: "William Davies" <bill@rarebits4classics.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 21:33:33 +0100 g9BKgXC29010
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>

> What is the likelihood of the freight costing me more than buying
> another Standard 8 in UK?

Hi Mike,
    While I've never taken a car either way across the Atlantic, unless this
car is an absolute concours contender (and potential winner), I'm certain that
it will be cheaper to find a comparable car in the UK than it would be to ship
it.

> What duty and taxes are payable on arrival UK port?   Can I claim VAT
> exemption for it as a classic vehicle, or because it was originally
> exported from UK, or for some other excuseXXXXXX reason?

Now this I can probably help with. As returned goods, you won't have to pay any
duty, but you will be liable to pay VAT on the car's value INCLUDING the cost
of shipping. This is chargeable at the full 17.5% rate unless you can prove
that it is a "Vehicle of historic interest", in which case you would pay the
reduced 5% rate. You will need to apply Customs & Excise for a Binding Tarif
Instruction under commodity code 9705 00 00 00. This isn't as simple as asying
the car's old, therefore different rules apply. You'll need to contact C&E in
Southend and convince them of the car's importance. I managed this with a nice
and original 1960 Herald 948 Saloon, so it should be possible with a Standard
8. They will take into consideration any link with a historic figure or event,
the number of surviving cars of this type (globally) and it's condition, but
you will need to provide the evidence. The swaying factor with my own Herald
was it's comparative rarity as an original unrestored car - I wouldn't have
been received sympathetically with any of the more plentiful variants. The word
of an expert witness on these matters is usually accepted - I was in the
slightly uncomfortable position of being my own witness (as TSSC Herald
Register Secretary) but I was upfront about this and there were no problems.

> What questions have I forgotten to ask??

Registering a car in the UK - the strange feeling of driving a car (legally) to
the MOT station without numberplates!
    Cheers,
            Bill.

--