RE: did 4.11 gears originally come in TR6s with overdrive?

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: did 4.11 gears originally come in TR6s with overdrive?
From: January Williams <january@chemeketa.edu>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 22:15:10 -0700
Randall writes:
>Like all the previous TRs, carbureted TR6s came standard with 3.7 diffs,
>regardless of OD.
>4.11 gears were available as special order, but the catalogs listed them as
>only being available in combination with an overdrive, hence the confusion.
>It was, of course, possible to have the factory build almost anything they
>could find parts for, so it was actually possible to order a car with 4.11
>gears and no OD, but very few were so ordered.
>On the earlier cars (up to around 1973), it's possible to tell a car that
>originally had 4.11 gears by the calibration number on the speedometer.
>However that doesn't work on the later cars, and I don't know of any other
>indicator except a BMIHT certificate, or the numbers on the diff.
>Randall
>59 TR3A TS39781LO - one of the very few with factory 4.11 and OD, I've
never
>seen another one.

My 4A CTC74217 came with OD and 4.11 rear per HMIHT cert. The speedo is a
"1312" due to the gearing.

Unlike the solid axle diffs, the IRS diffs are stamped w serial no's on the
bottom, CTC xxxxx for standard (3.7) gearing -- and BTC xxxxx  for the 4.11s

Don't know if this numbering carried on into the sixes

january