Re: seat belts

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "Andy Taylor" <ATaylor@mail.hrca.harvard.edu>
Subject: Re: seat belts
From: "Andy Taylor" <ataylor@mail.hrca.harvard.edu>
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 08:13:55 -0400
Well, its a beautiful day, so I'm putting in seat belts come hell or high
water. It seems there's no clear best solution, since few of you seem to have
belts in the back. I figure what may be too close for adults, would work just
fine for 4 & 7 year-olds.
Funny thing about the noise, it gets better every day. Maybe its a self-healing
process as yet undiscovered in triumphs. Anyway, a local mechanic I found in
the New England Triumphs newsletter is gonna take a listen/look. (What's a whir
to me, might be a scrrrtch to another.)

Andy Taylor
Boston
'62 TR4 CT16725

<<< "Andy Taylor" <ataylor@mail.hrca.harvard.edu>  9/26  1:24p >>>
Hi All-

I just joined the list a couple of weeks ago and have been enjoying the
discussions. But now, I have a couple of questions of my own.

After a too long 20 years, I recently purchased that TR4 I had always wanted.
Though I've had some experience with LBCs ('65 MGB), I'm pretty unskilled
mechanically. I figure this car will change that. Two things - I need to
install seat belts in the back for my two young boys and there's some weird
noise on start up that I'm curious about.

1) The seat belts from Moss just arrived and the instructions say the two hooks
should be placed at least 15" apart, if not more. However, there's not that
much space between the hump and the wall. Crossing the belts in the middle
seems the only solution. Is this advisable, or should I just install them
closer than advised or just use one long belt and let them share??

2) On about the second day of having the car, I turned the key and there was
nothing but a whirring sound. After about a half dozen tries, the engine kicked
in. It happened once more the next day or so. Since then (the last two weeks),
one out of two times it will whir the first attempt and turn over on the
second. What is this? (If it helps, the car has an electronic ignition and a
'gear reduction starter', whatever that means.)

Suggestions and thoughts would be most welcome!

Andy Taylor
Boston
'62 TR4