Too Rich, Too annoyed

To: triumph_herald@yahoogroups.com, Triumphs@autox.team.net, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Too Rich, Too annoyed
From: "Scott A. Roberts" <herald1200@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2002 14:03:31 -0400
Ok- Here's my problem for the day. No matter what I do, or try, I cannot get
the Herald to idle properly all the time. I have tried adjusting the carbs
several times, the valves, everything I can think of. I still come out too
rich. Oh- and the front carb is temperamental- very finicky about it's mix- a
hair too much, stalls when dashpot lifted, a little too lean, same thing. Rear
carb is happy, and takes a lot to aggravate to the point of stalling.

I have the Herald 12/50 engine with stock head and cam, set up with dual SU
HS2s from a Spitfire MkII. Is my problem that the car breathes too well for
this setup? The valves are larger than the Spitfire ones, and I believe the cam
is somewhat different as well, being stock Herald. I am starting to think she
is flowing too much fuel because of the high aspiration, therefore the constant
rich state. I have rebuilt both carbs entirely, rebushing the throttle shafts &
putting in new jets(black plastic, not red, if that makes a difference. I also
am using the "AN" needles that came factory with the Spitfires)

My options at this point are simple- remove the dual SU's and reinstall the
stock B30PSE1; Redesign and modify the linkage to a progressive linkage- i.e.-
run on the front carb only, until a certain acceleration level met, then the
rear will cut in,(like a 4 barrel works).; Modify so only one carb is active.

Ideas?
Scott