RE: Whine in gearbox or differential?

To: "'Randall Young'" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Subject: RE: Whine in gearbox or differential?
From: Hugh Fader <hfader@usa.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2002 08:06:11 -0400
Cc: "'triumphs'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Hi Randall. Thanks for responding.

> > Another question: Since the main shaft speed also varies
> with road speed,
> > couldn't my noise be coming from it's gears?
>
> With the gearbox in neutral, there are no gears that turn at
> output shaft
> speed.  All the transmission gears (except reverse) are
> driven by the input
> shaft all the time, the gear shift just picks which one is
> locked to the
> output shaft.

Yup. I understand that part. I only get a sound when in gear or a more faint
sound just as I begin to shift. I get the same pitch no matter which gear is
engaged. As Dave said this points to the differential. I guess I'll verify
this with the car up on stands.

> Running it up on jackstands isn't as scary as it sounds.
> Just be sure you
> have the stands with the cast jaws and welded body.  The
> stamped sheet metal
> ones aren't safe IMO.

Pretty sure mine are as you describe. I'll take a good look to make sure.

Thanks,
Hugh