Herald, new to list, burning questions

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Herald, new to list, burning questions
From: "Javier Vidaurre Ch." <vidaurre@rocketmail.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 09:31:11 -0700 (PDT)
Hello to all from Lima, Peru,
I am Javier Vidaurre and new to the mailing list and
new to Triumphs.  About 3 months ago I saw two adds in
the paper for Heralds, a 1970 Saloon and a 1965
Convertible.  I bought them both. While test driving
the convertible I came across a 1967 Herald Estate
which I am in the process of aquiring, in other words
money has changed hands while I await a clear title to
the car (many people never get around to transfering
the title when they buy a car here in Lima and when
they resell the fun begins). Details follow:

MINE:
1965 Triumph Herald Convertible, running, needs resto.
Engine N0 GD46756HE
Comm. N0 GB27881LCV

1970 Triumph Herald 13/60, running, needs resto.
Engine N0 GE59384LE
Comm. N0 9GE53565LDL

ALMOST MINE:
1967 Triumph Herald Estate, not running, needs resto.
Engine N0 GD91694HE
Comm. N0 9GB49365LSC

Born and raised in Los Angeles, California I have been
living here in Peru since July-1996 and decided to get
back into playing with cars and these Heralds will do
just nicely.  The streets of Lima have not been kind
to these Heralds. All will be receiving a frame up
restoration and I would like to thank the "list" in
advance for all the wisdom they can spare.

I will start with an easy question:

1.  Inch or metric wrenches (I suspect metric but my
inch tools worked fine)

2.  My 1970 13/60 Saloon has an Estate gas tank.  Did
the factory do this? I suspect a previous owner's
repair.

The third day that I owned the 1970 the LH Vertical
Link broke where it enters the trunnion.  "Welcome to
old LBC ownership" I thought as I sat there in the
middle of the street listing noticably.  Luckily it
was in front of my place of employment, Otis elevator,
and their forklift picked up the 804 Kg and placed it
out of harms way which leads to the following:

3.  I have received the parts from Rimmer Bros, new
trunnion, ball joint & vert. link for LH & RH and
bits. Any tips or what to look out for not explained
in Haynes on setting the proper clearances for the
LINK to Trunnion etc.?  I saw a web page that
mentioned replacing with a grease nipple the bolt that
covers the vert. link lube point and using a marine
grease that has better properties.  Any opinions?

4. Here at the Otis plant they have an industrial lath
and I have asked it's operator to turn the disk brake
rotors for me.  Any web site with data as to minimum
thkns, runout and friction surface finish etc. and as
ridiculous as it sounds, a quick how to.

Thanks again all,
Javier
Yahoo! News - Today's headlines
http://news.yahoo.com