Gremlins in my Flasher Unit

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Gremlins in my Flasher Unit
From: Scott Tilton <sdtilton@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2002 14:43:46 -0700 (PDT)
Gotta question for those out there more electrically inclined than myself.
(almost everyone)

So Im still plugging away at the old TR-4 to get it in shape for daily
driving.
Converted to a Yellow Plastic TR6 fan . . . MUCH better.

Now Im working on the turn signals.
As far as I could tell . .the turn signals actually worked fine.
The green indicator light on the dash was a different matter though.

Left turn . .fine.
Right turn . . would flash once .. then quit flashing.  I think the signal
lights were still blinking though.

So for no good reason . .I dug up an old flasher unit to replace the severely
beat up one on the car.  The flasher unit was a 12V  Three terminal type . .
part number 550  if that means anything.

Despite looking brand new. . this one didnt seem to work at all.

So I went to the autoparts store and found a new Wagner 550   12V flasher unit
and installed that one.

Now get this:
Turn the ignition key on and the green indicator light on the dash is burning
bright, but the signal lights arent.

Turn on either turn signal ..and they will blink just fine . .the indictor
light on the dash goes out when the signal light comes on.

What in the heck is up with that?

Scott Tilton
1963 TR4 . .. going to be everyday starting tomorrow
Leesburg, VA