TR4A wiring at the starter solenoid

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR4A wiring at the starter solenoid
From: Chris Kantarjiev <cak@dimebank.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2002 15:08:23 -0700 (PDT)
While doing a few other tasks on my currently neglected 4A, I
discovered that at least part of the reason that she cranks so
slowly is that the cable from the solenoid to the starter is
worn about half-way through. I'd found it rubbing on the body
many years ago and taped it up without much inspection...
that was a mistake, I guess :-)

I bought a new one from TRF, and started to install it. I'm
puzzled - it didn't come with a bent terminal the way the old
one did, and it's much too long if I bend the terminal and put
it where the old one was.

So I figure the old setup might have been wrong. Piggot's book
is no help - all the photos are of RHD cars, and none really
show this area.

Any help? My wiring currently has the cable from the battery
going to the outside post of the solenoid. The contact
to feed the ammeter attaches here. The inside post (closer
to the battery) held the lead for the starter. The terminal
on the cable had been bent 90 degrees, and the cable went
forward and down - rubbing the edge of the body here as
the horizontal section meets the vertical section of
the passenger footwell.

I'm guessing that the posts should really be used the other
way 'round, that the outside post should lead to the starter,
that the cable should be going up out and around somehow on
its way to the starter, and not go anywhere near that sharp
body edge.

Can someone please confirm?

Thanks,
chris