Electronic Ignition and Positive ground?

To: "INTERNET:Egbman1@aol.com" <Egbman1@aol.com>
Subject: Electronic Ignition and Positive ground?
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2002 11:29:31 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by INTERNET:Egbman1@aol.com
>Once again I must come to the fountain of TR knowledge,
My generator just died on my TR4 (bearings) and I've been contemplating an
alternator conversion. PO had installed a Crane XR700 electronic ignition
kit, set up for the stock positive ground. Does anyone know if it can be
switched to negative ground or do I need a whole new negative ground unit
from Crane?
<

Earl, the Crane unit is the same for either polarity, you just need to
reconnect the wires.  Your current connections are probably like this:

Red          Coil (+)          Chassis (ground)
Yellow     Coil (-)
Black       White             Switched 12 volt power

When you change the polarity reconnect it this way:

Red          Coil (+)          Switched 12 volt power
Yellow     Coil (-)
Black       White             Chassis (ground)

Cheers

Dave Massey
57 TR3 (points)
71 TR6 (Crane)