Seat Assembly

To: Graham McMicken <g.mcmicken@shaw.ca>
Subject: Seat Assembly
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 09:24:53 -0400
Cc: TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by Graham McMicken
>I was taking a look at my seats, and it seems as though there
are many notches for seat postion. When I get about 4 away from
closest there is a dimple in the track, and the wheel
can't get over it. This would make sense if there were no more notches,
but there are more notches!

If anyone can explain this, please do. My son wants to drive it, but he is
too short.
<

And Chrissy responded:

>What kind of car do you have??  I don't think the seats on my '79 Spit are

>adjustable at all...anyone??

Graham, the dimples are to prevent the seat tracks from coming apart.
There is a limited amount of adjustment in these seats and if you neet to
move them further forward you may have to unbolt the seat tracks and drill
new holes to remount and if you do this you may find that there is not
enough room between the transmission tunnel and door since the tunnel is
tapered.  A lower impact solution may be to set some pillows or an old sofa
cushion behind the son to move him forward in the seat.  Another option
might be pedal extensions which would not move him too close to the
steering wheel.

And Chrissy, your seats are adjustable it's just that none of the TR seats
adjust very easily (the TR7 and 8 seats seam to adjust easier than the
others) and after several years the tracks can get rusty or clogged with
dirt or carpet fibers which make them even harder to move.  Also, the
adjusting release lever needs a good tug to release, a small amount of
movement usually is not sufficient.  But play with it some more and I think
that you will find that the seats will adjust - if only reluctantly.

Cheers all and good luck

Dave Massey
57 TR3
71 TR6