AW: missing gearshift parts

To: <Cromracker2@aol.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: AW: missing gearshift parts
From: Jochen.Saal@t-online.de (Jochen Saal)
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 23:20:46 +0200
James,

these two part are there to prevent the shift from any vibration
(anti-rattle).

Regards,
Jochen Saal
Munich/Germany

    Salutations to all of the Triumph listers! Having gotten the new toy
home, I have embarked on a mission to change all the fluids so I can start
with a fresh slate, so to speak. I managed to get the tunnel and everything
else removed(what an ordeal) so I could change the transmission fluid and
have arrived at my first head scratcher. When I remoived the shifter
mechanism, I discovered that the plunger and spring(items # 8 & # 9,
Bentley's page 277) are missing. Can anyone tell me what function these
items
serve? The shifter worked; although it was not as smooth as I would have
liked. Are these parts optional? Your experience here would be appreciated.
Thanks!
                                                    James McArthur
                                                    '74 TR6   CF17672U