RE: Oil, (again!)

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Oil, (again!)
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 09:09:43 -0700
> I took my little Renault 5 to a French Jiffy-lube sort of place for a
> routine oil change asking them to refill with Castrol GTX. When I
> collected
> the car they had filled it with very expensive semi-synthetic 15/50 oil,
> saying that Castrol GTX was'nt available but this stuff was much better.

David, I'm not certain what the laws are like in your country.  In the US,
when a shop installs a part different than what was requested, and charges a
higher price for same, that's called fraud and is grounds for court action.
If they switched oil without your permission, at the very least they should
only charge you the price for what you requested.

> What do the oil cognoscenti think? Is the garage just padding the bill, or
> is there some truth in all this. Should I put semi synthetic in my TR?

I honestly don't know if there's any truth in it.  However, I use full
synthetic oil (Valvoline 20/50) in my TR3A, changed roughly every 5000 miles
(along with the filter every time), and so far I've been pretty happy with
it.  The cost of the oil itself is about 3 times what "dinosaur juice" costs
here.

There is at least some difference in the synthetic oil, my (late) Chevy
burned far less oil when running synthetic.  However, the TR leaks it just
as fast <g>

Randall