Re: Mutual admiration

To: <OC@46thFoot.com>
Subject: Re: Mutual admiration
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 20:47:57 +0100
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Mike Mawson wrote:
I was parked at the pump with my new Herald 1200
(top down) when a mint-condition LHD Austin-Healey 3000 drove up to
the
pump next to me.   Just as I was about to go over to gawp at his car,
the A-H driver leapt out, headed straight for my Herald, and said,
"Now,
THAT'S a nice car!"

I think I have an inkling why he said that, Michael. I was lucky
enough to spend a day about two weeks ago, posing in an immaculate
1966 3000. Thoroughly enjoyed it and did just over 100 miles of
country lanes and some hard treading with the right foot as the
opportunity presented itself. I'd started out with a brimmed tank but
the car lacked an overdrive and 60mph at 4300rpm, three SU's sucking
away and it wasn't long before the needle started dropping
alarmingly..  Fortunately, on the day in question "I was on expenses"
and the Healey needed refuelling before I got back to base. One second
mortgage later ....
I think he realised that distance for distance, when his gauge showed
empty, yours was probably showing 3/4 full. But a Herald convertible
with the top down IS a nice car and Healey people are all thoroughly
nice people. With UK fuel prices nudging US$6 a gallon, they can
afford to be <g>

Jonmac