Re: Pertronix reliability

To: Mark Hooper <mhooper@pixelsystems.com>
Subject: Re: Pertronix reliability
From: George P Richardson <gprtech@frontiernet.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 07:57:02 -0400
Cc: "'Triumph List '" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
I can second that. I've had a Crane unit in my TR3 for the past 3-4
years, with no problem. About six months ago, I replaced the Piranha
unit in my Stag with a Crane as well, since I'd had trouble with the
Piranha. No problems with the Stag, after that, and I've put 10,000
miles on it since then.

Mark Hooper wrote:

>It sounds like the P-ix has reliability "questions". Spinning magnets. I can
>understand the issues.
>
>I have been using a Crane Cams XR700 since I installed it in the engine in
>1995 during the rebuild. Sat it the cold, in the warm, in the wet and dry.
>Works beautifully. An optical slot cutoff is far less prone to temperature
>and vibration timing issues than a magnet moving through a shallow arc in a
>hall-effect switch.
>
>If you are not horrified by the gold box bolted to the wheel arch, then the
>Crane unit is a good way to go. Tremendously eased starting and gave extra
>pep. Haven't had to adjust the timing or play with the dizzy in years.

George Richardson