Re: Ballasted Coils

To: TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Ballasted Coils
From: Geo Hahn <geohahn@ultrasw.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 16:39:18 -0700
"Craig B. Foch" wrote:

> I used to be an instructor at an automotive trade school, and I know that
> the role of the ballast resistor is both confusing and poorly understood.

FWIW -- maybe everyone but me knew this but I just found out the hard way...

If you order a coil for a TR3/4 from Moss and get the one with the push-on HT
lead (p/n 143-220) they supply a non-ballasted coil.  The box doesn't indicate
this but a resistance check or a look at the number on the bottom (ends in "6")
will reveal it.  You will need to obtain an external resistor to add to this
coil
to avoid barbecuing the points.

I'm told that the coil with the screw-type HT lead and the Lucas sport coil have
internal resistors.

Geo Hahn
59 TR3A
64 TR4